Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Our First Do It Yourself Project!!!

If you know John and I, you know we are not that great at manual labor projects. However, that does not mean we do not try. So we were so excited about our first real opportunity to try one on our new home. We were at COSTCO and found a great ceiling fan. So we thought "how hard can it be to hang one?" So this is how it turned out.

Before



After

I know you are VERY impressed. This was actually the easiest project to do. Here are the steps we followed.


Step 1

Turn off the electricity. This was actually kind of tricky because neither John or I knew exactly where the electrical box was. We found it and about 30 min later the electricity to the room was off!!


Step 2


Know when to realize you are in over your head. We didn't know what to do with the 3 hanging wires or what to attach the fan base to. So instead, we turned our attention to a new task, trying to find a handyman that makes house calls on a Saturday. Plus we had to run to Lowe's and get new fans because the COSTCO ones didn't work. (Hey, at least we got to use our hand drill to unscrew the ceiling plate.)

Step 3 and 4


This consisted of waiting and watching. We had a LONG wait before dinner while the fans were being installed. We were SO bored!!


The handyman


Step 5

You are finished!! Who wants pizza, knots and a diet coke for dinner? Perfect!

6 comments:

Allen Family said...

Oh my gosh, that is hilarious. You guys sound just like Jason and I. Except Jason thinks he can figure anything out and will try but the project is always left half finished.

Calloways said...

I love you two! You are so funny! I hope you are enjoying your new ceiling fan!

BrittanyB said...

Awesome Jaymes! I appreciate you listing the steps for future reference. . . very helpful ;)

Jeni said...

sooo funny. so true! sounds like my way of doing things! and ps what are knots? yum?

Melissa Braegger said...

That is so weird that the ones from Costco didn't work-glad you found some you liked though. If chris didn't know how to do that sort of stuff I would be calling a handy man for everything. I am totally clueless:) We need to hang out soon-I will send an email.

Alison said...

That's hilarious Jayme!
And I love the header picture on your blog - yay Sonic!