Friday, January 20, 2012

Changes

This May, it will be five years since John graduated from Law School. It will be 5 years since we packed up our stuff and left Michigan in hopes of starting a new chapter in our lives. I was pregnant with Dylan, we were moving across the country, we had no job lined up and John needed time to study and take the bar. Well, fast forward to the day after Dylan was born. It was a Tues night, I was in the hospital, John called to tell me he was going to take his resume to our Ward (church) career service night. He was directed to a stake member who informed him about a job as a County Prosecutor. I only mention this because we were both very stressed and worried about finding a job in an industry that wasn't hiring. The career service in our church was a definitely a blessing in our lives. John interviewed with the county prosecutor's office and later found out that he was hired and would be starting on Dec 31, 2007. We were thrilled!


John started working in the juvenile department. He really enjoyed this, he loved working there. We would joke with him that he would watch Law and Order to learn some great lines to use in court the next day. He was quickly moved to felony trial group and later to white collar crimes which is a major crime department. He has loved working there and for the County. Well, a new opportunity has come up and today is officially John's last day as a county prosecutor. As John's wife I am going to brag about him now! :)


When some of John's co-workers left before him, John watched them put in there letter of resignation and that was it. Well, when John told his boss he was leaving and emailed his letter, that was not the end of it. He had to spend the next day in a half listening to his boss's boss and their boss trying to convince him to stay. They told him they weren't going to accept his letter until he had more time to think about this decision. They told him he was one of there best and they definitely didn't want him to leave!


Maybe this is because John is leaving a perfect record. He has never lost a trial or a hearing. In many cases the normal punishment wasn't acceptable for John and he successfully went after a higher sentences. He definitely has made our community a safer place! Plus my boys LOVED saying that their daddy put bad people in jail. :)

Anyway, I just want John to know as he is finishing his last day that I am very proud of is accomplishments and wish him lots of success at his new job! I know it was hard to hand your badged back, but I bet Jacob will let you hold his plastic one. :) Oh, and those of you who are committing medical insurance fraud, watch out, because John is coming after YOU!!!


John on the day of his interview


Today, heading out the door.



Some things I want to remember and will miss about John's experience with the county

His perfect record

His flex schedule. It was nice to know he had every other Friday off

The 3 am phone call from the police telling John that there has been a murder-suicide and he is the attorney on call. Then listening to a very tired and confused John trying to explain that he is not the attorney that should have been called.

Walking around an outdoor mall with John on date night, when he spots a group of teenagers in a group and tells me this is never a good sign. He then proceeds to follow them. I remember asking him if he was going to call a judge and have the boys arrested and sentenced right then. :)

Speaking in Jacob's kindergarten class about how he makes the community safer

His phone the county paid for

Awesome health insurance

Things I won't miss
John being known for making the most people cry

The 9:30am phone calls from John telling me he has already put 4 people in prison, then asks me what I've done so far

Favorite quote from John

"The younger version of myself would have slapped me if he heard what I said today!"

4 comments:

Jeni Everett said...

Jayme,
I am so happy for John, you and your little family. Wonderful things are headed your way. Congrats! Success could not have happened to a better family!

Jeni said...

hahaha I LOVE JOHN. I miss you guys! Seriously. I am laughing so hard. I bet John was awesome at that! GOOD luck with the new job though!

BrittanyB said...

Good luck with the new job! Not like you it though, right John?

Calloways said...

Totally laughing with Jeni. I remember JOhn studying for the LSAT and asking us all the crazy questions to try and answer them the fastest. HAHAHA. So excited for a new job and opportunity. Congrats to you both!